With the weather temperatures dropping below freezing, we are urging our customers to get their homes Wrapped Up for winter.
To help with this mission our "Wrap Up" team will be at the following loations this weekend giving away free pipe lagging and providing advice on how to avoid frozen pipes.:
- Friday 30 November - Outside Iceland and Asda on Chesterfield Road in Woodseats, Sheffield between 10:30am and 12:30pm
- Saturday 1 December - Iceland and Asda, Carr Pitt Road, Aspley, Huddersfield between 10:00am and 12:00pm
- Saturday 1 December - Asda, Harehills Lane, Leeds between 12:45pm and 3:30pm
- Monday 3 December - Asda, Althorp Road, Kingswood Retail Park, Hull between 11:30am and 1:30pm.
Most people will remember the severe winter weather that engulfed the region two years ago and with the prospect of a cold couple of months ahead, we are determined to help our customers by ensuring they're well equipped with all the information, tools and know how to make sure that when the snow strikes again they will have their homes prepared.
Aimee Laycock from our Customer Engagement team said, "When temperatures drop customers pipes become more susceptible to freezing and bursting so it's really important that people follow our advice on how to protect their homes in advance of winter. This weekend we hope that lots of people come along to our events and take advantage of the free pipe lagging that we will be giving away.
"At this time of year it's also really important that people think about how they can help get their friends, family and neighbours homes ready for winter. We offer a free service called 'Helping Hands' that's designed to help those people in the region who require additional support such as elderly customers, those with a disability, or serious injury, mobility issues or a serious medical condition.
"Customers can join the 'Helping Hands' register or nominate a neighbour, friend or relative, simply by calling Yorkshire Water on 0800 1 38 78 78 or by completing an online application form at yorkshirewater.com/helpinghands."
Customers are advised to take the simple steps below to make their homes winter-ready:
- Protect all exposed pipe work, cisterns, tanks, taps and water meters in unheated areas with waterproof foam lagging or insulation
- Know where the stop tap is located at the property in case it needs to be turned off in an emergency. The main stop tap is usually found at the point where the pipe work enters the premises, often it is under the kitchen sink
- Make sure you keep a plumbers number handy in case of an emergency
- Keep homes warm - set central heating on a low heat or a 24 hour constant setting. If going away on holiday tell a neighbour or friend so that they can check to make sure there have been no burst pipes
As a company, we have already taken a number of steps to ensure we are ready to meet the challenges posed by a cold winter. We have extra four wheel drive vehicles on stand-by to ensure we can get access to the more remote areas of the region and extra resources are already in place to deal with more calls and respond to burst pipes should the weather take a turn for the worse.
For advice on how to lag pipes, to find out where stop taps are located and lots more advice, offers, free winter kits and how to videos visit yorkshirewater.com/wrapup or search for #wrapup on Twitter